Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Tips To Ease Anxiety Over the Holidays

Thanksgiving Anxiety“Over the river and through the woods…”

The Thanksgiving trip home… just the thought is starting to make me anxious.

Grandma, aunt’s and uncles, little cousins, Mom, some strange neighbor, a new boyfriend for my little sister does anyone else out there know what I’m talking about. I haven’t distanced myself from my family, but I always leave in worse mental shape then when I showed up. I began thinking to myself (and halfway convinced myself) that this is the true function of family. To beat you down emotionally and psychologically with strategically placed question and answer sessions as if I had committed some sort of crime that I was unaware of.

It’s the, “so what are you doing, now” questions that get me. They seem to imply, “so, you’re working at some stupid job? Whatever happened to you wanting to become an astronaut?”

I know I’m not alone here. Trust me. I know I’m not alone. I’ve had some, “Get me out of here moments!” of anxiety panic while at my family’s house. So I’ve come up with some handy tips and suggestions that might help you… they’re pretty simple.

1) They’re really not judging you. You’re projecting onto yourself, and you’re being way too hard on yourself.

2) Don’t over eat. That in itself has caused me some anxiety, right there. I don’t know why, but I would stuff myself, and the last thing you feel like doing is talking.

3) If you feel those strange symptoms of panic start to come on, stick close to the TV. Turn the volume up, and put your brain in a mindless football game for a nice hour.

4) Take a walk around the old neighborhood. Go out, by yourself, and take a stroll. It’ll bring back some interesting memories. It always does for me.

5) Have a drink. If you get stuck in a conversation with mom, the annoying aunt, and some one else pegging you with questions you don’t feel comfortable with. Take a slug of that cheap wine, it’ll chill you out.

6) Make a joke of a situation. If they bombard you with, “how’s this and that?” just tell them something completely outrageous, like you don’t see this person anymore, you killed them and ate them. You really don’t want to talk about it.

7) Remember, Thanksgiving is a holiday, not a chore.

So I hope these little tips help you get rid of your anxiety while visiting family, and enjoy your holiday, wherever you may be.


Related Anxiety Tips and Humor Articles:

Relieve your Anxiety
New Anxiety and Stress Busters
Post Holiday Depression
10 Tips during Terrorist Attacks
10 Tips that will not Help at All

No comments: