Thursday, October 26, 2006

Are Midterm Elections Raising Anxiety in America?

Anxiety over Elections

Just let the 7th come already and be done with this! The negative ads, the endless stream of polls, the negative ads, the scandals, the what ifs, the fight for power, the negative ads, Michael J. Fox, Rush Limbaugh, the anger, the mud slinging… did I mention those negative ads?

If I could indict some of these guys, I would. The indictment would be almost 400 pages and 600 counts of television harassment in only one hour.

If I had to put the sheer amount of negative ads per hour I see on a scale of 1 to 10… I’d give it a D+.

The United States of America is just a mess, and that alone is a major cause of my anxiety. I’ll admit to that right now. And I think a lot of people should.

We’re living in a country where senior representatives are literally SCREAMING about “illegals” wasting taxpayer dollars, while in 2005, $27,000,000 was spent on car services for Congressmen. That’s TWENTY SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS my friend that you and I paid for in driving around reps.

You would think that a man or woman who has risen to the level of national office, perhaps being the elected representative to be the voice of a hundred thousand people in our government would HAVE HIS OR HER OWN CAR! Or, if they need to rent one, oh, I don’t know, maybe pay for it themselves? Oh, no… look, if you really want to get disgusted, here, Congressional Perks: How the Trappings of Office Trap Taxpayers.

So I’ll just admit it, I find the state of my country, the state of government, and the issues that we face to be disturbing. Disturbing in such a way that it’s a great cause to worry. And I don’t think that I’m alone in this feeling. These are troubling times. I take every ounce of responsibility for my feelings and actions, however, with these midterm elections, the media has created them to be just a big tent circus that I really want to run out of screaming, swallowing as many anti-panic medications as I can. The candidates are the clowns (yes, clowns scare me) we have elephants and donkeys and the master of ceremonies.

I’ll admit that I vote Democrat, I am rather centrist, and I would like to see a change in government. There is no reason for the Republicans to control ALL THREE branches of government, and I think its time for a change. However, I find myself worrying that this might not happen… honest to god worried. I read new polls showing the Democrat edge slipping away just a few weeks before the elections, I fear not enough seats being won, I fear this guy Bush and his entire administration and what they’re doing…

So here are 5 helpful tips that I’m trying to get me through the next two weeks:
1) Turn the TV off, if you can’t do that, mute the commercials.
2) Karl Rove is not the political genius that everyone thinks he is. (Democrat voters, take solace in this article about Rove and his several miscalculations).
3) Meditate, deep breathe, and visualize. Visualization I find to be quite helpful. Visualize a Democrat sweep, and how sweet that would be.
4) Ignore the polls and simply focus on a confident victory that will lead to a Democratic House and Senate.
5) After you’ve seen the Senate and House speakers step down, just ponder the revenge that will be served oh so cold.

So please, November 7th… would you just hurry up and come already !!!

No comments: